Friday, February 14, 2014

SE Asia - Luang Probang, Laos - 1


Day 1, Luang Probang, Laos, January 19
Luang Probang, Laos

Sunday we flew on a prop plane from Bangkok to Luang Probang, Laos which is in the middle of the country. Our local guide, Ken, met us at the airport. We arrived in time to check in at the Vang Thong hotel, which is small, but adequate. From here on, any travel within the town was via Tuk Tuk because the buses are not allowed. This is a World Heritage UNESCO site.

The first stop was a bakery where we could order anything because we were paying our own bill. Paul and I both had a bowl of chili, which was good. We then visited another temple, somewhat different than Thailand, but mostly the same. The group then walked into town, but I chose the Tuk Tuk ride. I was the only one so I wandered the street, checked out the local restaurants and watched them set up for the night market. After a while I began to wonder if I'd ever hook up with the group. Fortunately, I saw Paul turn a corner into the market and caught up with him. By then the market had filled the street with stands of local wares. Didn't buy anything though.

Dinner was at a local restaurant, another very cold Tuk Tuk ride. Did I mention it was very cold? Thanks to my friend Jan, I had brought fleece, gloves, wind breaker, etc. and used it all. There was no heat in the rooms. I found the comforter in the armoire but many didn't. Vit, our OAT guide said he heated his bed with the hair drier before getting in, very clever.

My cold was progressing as normal, but I did get a good night sleep.

That's it for now. Grace and Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you.